... Read More
Major Responsibilities: Candidate will Assist Avalon’s Youth Services staff with operation of summer day camp for youth that have experienced trauma due to abuse or crime. Responsible for implementation of activities, curriculum and the overall physical and emotional safety of campers. Act as role model and mentor for youth, supervise age appropriate activities designed to promote healing and healthy behaviors for young victims.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Provide direct supervision to ensure a safe and healthy environment, both physically and mentally for all campers.
- Ensures children are aware of rules, and daily scheduled routines.
- Attend all staff meetings and training required of camp counselors.
- Assist in the planning and implementing of the daily activities that fit the children’s needs and interests.
- Takes responsibility for the supplies, equipment and materials.
- Report all suspicions of child abuse to proper authorities.
- Make sure proper procedures are followed for sign-in/out of children.
- Encourage campers and participate in activities designed to build resilience.
- Adhere to Avalon’s client data confidentiality policy.
- Bachelor’s degree in psychology, human services, child development or related field preferred. Minimum 2 years of experience working with children in a structured environment.
- Desire and ability to work with youth of all abilities and backgrounds.
- Ability to remain alert, keeping safety in mind.
- Completion of pre-employment child registry/criminal history background
- Child CPR and 1st Aid certification preferred.
- Ability to supervise and participate in outdoor summer activities and lift 30 pounds.
- Valid Virginia driver’s license.
This description provides a general overview of the type and levels of work performed and is not intended to be all-inclusive or to represent a comprehensive description of all specific duties. The knowledge, skills, and abilities may be acquired through a combination of formal schooling, prior experience or on-the-job training. Avalon Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Avalon Center is seeking a part-time staff person responsible for passenger-van driving and light maintenance. The candidate will safely transport Avalon’s clients; coordinate the maintenance and repair of agency vehicles, and transport supplies and donations to shelter. The candidate will also be integral to the upkeep of the shelter campus by performing daily inspections and maintenance of the facilities.
Avalon Center works to end domestic and sexual violence by breaking the cycle of abuse through prevention, education, shelter and support services in the Williamsburg area. This opportunity is well-suited to seniors and retirees with relevant skills and interests. Please email a cover letter and resume or any questions here, or call (757) 258-5022 for more information.
We are seeking a compassionate and motivated individual to provide supportive services to adult residents and their children in our communal-living emergency shelter. Applicants must be able to clearly communicate using verbal and written skills and the ability to communicate shelter expectations and complete required reporting documentation. They must possess crisis intervention skills and the ability to manage and resolve conflict, and should have a knowledge of the effects of domestic violence and sexual assault, and homelessness, especially on women and children. A minimum of a high school education is required, with a degree in human services, psychology, or social work preferred. Please email a cover letter and resume or any questions here.
Avalon Center is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, religion, sex, color, sexual orientation, national origin, handicap, or age.
For more information about internships, contact our volunteer coordinator, Augusta Casone at email@example.com.
Hospital Accompaniment Volunteers
We believe that emergency care for sexual assault should be healing, not traumatizing—and we’re looking for more hospital accompaniment volunteers to help make that a reality. Avalon Center provides hospital accompaniment to survivors of sexual assault who seek medical attention or support. At the hospital, survivors can choose whether or not to take legal action and if they wish to undergo an examination for physical evidence. The advocate helps provide information about such decisions and supports survivors in their choices and throughout their hospital visit.
Oftentimes this visit to the emergency room is made alone, and survivors require the support of their advocates during examinations. In the days following an assault, survivors have difficulty recounting their experience again and again. Accompaniment advocates help survivors record the facts of the event so repeated questioning won’t occur. With this information, the advocate can also help coordinate the appropriate response and follow up on the survivor’s behalf.
We are seeking volunteers in our service area, including Williamsburg, Poquoson, York, James City, Charles City, and New Kent. Volunteers will be an integral part of an on-call advocacy team and will be trained in trauma informed-care, sexual assault response, hospital accompaniment, and advocacy skills. This opportunity is well suited to people with 10 or more years of experience in the workforce.
Apply here, or call Augusta at (757)258-5022 for more information.
Avalon Center is an equal opportunity employer. If you want to join our team of compassionate and motivated individuals, check out our current available positions.